IUI – Intra Uterine Insemination.
Jul 20, 2023
If you’re having trouble getting pregnant, IUI treatment may be the way to go. It’s a simple, less-invasive procedure that helps a sample of carefully chosen sperm get into your uterus. It’s often the first step on your assisted conception journey, and it’s one of the simplest and least-invasive treatments available. Your fertility journey as a couple is unique to you and our specialists take the time to guide you at each turn with medical advice specific to your situation. If you are looking to know more about the IUI cost in Malaysia, a consultation with a fertility specialist and a fertility healthcheck will provide the necessary investigations and help determine whether IUI treatment is right for you.
IUI Process and procedure – what to expect.
Depending on the results of your cycle monitoring test, your Monash IVF KPJ Johor’s IVF specialist will provide you with information, possible risks and complications and expectations for your IUI procedure.
- During your IUI procedure, you will have a speculum inserted into your vagina so that a fine plastic tube, known as a catheter, containing the prepared sperm, can pass through your cervix and into your uterus. This is similar to a pap smear, or cervical screen, and is usually a relatively painless procedure, with little or no need for an anaesthetic.
- If your cycle necessitates fresh sperm, your male partner will be asked to produce a specimen of your sperm on the day of your insemination.
- The sperm will then be ‘washed’ – separated from the fluid part of the sperm – to remove any hormones or other substances in preparation for the procedure.
- If your cycle necessitates frozen sperm, the previously ‘washed’ and ‘prepared’ sperm will be warmed up and ready for the IUI procedure.
- After the procedure, you will be able to go back to your normal activities.
“Only a small number of sperm make it to the fallopian tube where fertilisation takes place during normal intercourse,” comments Dr Mohan Krishnasamy, Medical Coordinator & Fertility Specialist at Monash IVF KPJ fertility centre in Johor Bahru. The advantage of IUI, however, is that it directly inserts better performing sperm into the uterus, increasing the chances of fertilisation.
IUI Cost Malaysia
For more information please speak to our fertility specialists.